PDA

View Full Version : c band satellite help

ramsharan
11-03-2007, 10:35 PM
hi ,
i just installed the 2.3 metre mesh dish at my place.i have done everything as mentioned in the instructions on vetrun.com.
but still i can;t get any channels. i got the digital satellite receiver SPACE L-120,no matter where i point my dish,no signal is always shown when i power on the receiver.and when i go to any channels info button,the intensity signal is always 47 % no matter what and signal quality is always 0%.

can u help me please?
i think ,i been doing some thing stupid which shows the singal 47 % always..
i am in Auburn ,sydney,i want to see asiasat3 to watch indian channels,but no luck so far.really frustrated..
can u tell me how do u scan channels.
do u leave into a channels and move the dish or something else??

thanks for ur help .
Ram

grasshopper
12-03-2007, 12:19 AM
but still i can;t get any channels. i got the digital satellite receiver SPACE L-120,no matter where i point my dish,no signal is always shown when i power on the receiver.and when i go to any channels info button,the intensity signal is always 47 % no matter what and signal quality is always 0%.
thats normal if your dish is not pointing at the sat, see here for angles http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/asia3s.html you will need java running to view the angles you need,(click on your location) if you dont have a sat meter you need to get the quality up by having freq etc entered and slowly move dish until quality rises,
http://www.lyngsat.com/asia3s.html for freq etc
a cheap sat finder like these will help heaps http://search.ebay.com/sat-finder_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8

farmsky
12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Here's the Clarke Belt showing the location of Asiasat 3 from Auburn, as starters. The azimuth is with respect to true north.

What lnb settings have you entered?

What satellite TP details are you measuring the sig/qual on?

You need the stb and tele next to the dish with correct details in the STB. Whilst viewing 'sig /qua' carefully move the dish around the desired az/el until the qual bars go green. Peak az/el and then peak the lnb skew.

ramsharan
12-03-2007, 01:10 AM
hi guys ,thanks for ur reply .
farmsky,
well,on my SPACE receiver,i have menu called channels which comes with 3 satellite transponder info.already added from factory setting.
there is the list of asiasat3 channels along with frequency.so what i been doing is going to one of the asiasat3 channels for eg. Zee music.

and there is button called info in the remote.when i click that it displays the zee music channel frequency and satellite info along with the
signal intensity and signal quality .singla intensity if always 47% and signal quality is 0%,
i have been moving my dish up down ,looking at the tv screen which is close to my dish,but no increase or decrease in signal quality or signal intensity.

i got this AC15-2C LNB http://www.mti.com.tw/MTI_WEB/news_page/upload_images/P_179CFAQ_PDF.pdf

in the asiasat2 satellite details ,LNB frequency has already been added as 57000 MHZ by factory.

i have read thorugh this forum a lot,but can't figure out what i am doing wrong here.
thanks
Ram

bassett
12-03-2007, 01:28 AM
What you have to remember is that your aiming your dish at something which is something like 35.000 k's in space, the slightest movement of your dish here will put the thing a couple of football fields away up there, Your not looking for a terrestial TV signal. The slightest movement of the dish will get you or loose you your signal.

Do things slowly, very slowly, Use the chart supplied by farmsky, have the receiver and TV screen AT THE DISH, Check your LNB settings 5150, check your frequances loaded. Frequances come and go all the time, just perhaps the pre-loaded frequances are no longer active.
Then adjust your dish a bit at a time, sometimes halfd a turn on an adjustment will give you pictures, sometimes not.
And get back to us with your results, Sometimes other people on here will give you a hand, if you ask, [ not me I,m on the north coast]

farmsky
12-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Hmm the MTI AS15-2C has 2 x lo's one for V, one for H; (both always on) allowing continuous tuning from 950 - 2000MHz, at IF, without the need to switch polarities.

LO:
H: 5.15 GHz
V: 5.7 GHz

IF Output Range:
H: 950 ~ 1450MHz
V: 1500 ~ 2000MHz

RF Input Range:
H: 3.7 ~ 4.2GHz
V: 3.7 ~ 4.2GHz

Polarization: Linear/Circular

Power: 13 - 24v

Interesting solution. Hopefully the SPACE supports it (..... looks like it does). Make you use 'lnb type' = OCS (select freq = 5.150 / 5700) and ensure 'lnb power' = 'on'.

Then check that the TP details, polarity etc you are scanning ..... actually exist on Asiasat 3 (lyngsat)

e.g Zee Music Asia: 4140 Vertical (tp 13) S/R 27500 FEC 3/4

ramsharan
12-03-2007, 11:30 PM
hi everyone,
thanks for all ur reply to my post.i did follow up all the suggested things yesterday evening,tried again to get signals,moved the dish left and right,up and down looking at the signal metre.but no luck.signal never increases.

i am starting to thing like LNB is not funtioning or not compatibe with my receiver.
LNB,receiver,dish is all brand new,which i bought from a chinese importer.

Farmsky,u mentioned that i select OCS as lnb type,but i don;t have that option in my receiver.

on my receiver,i have added satellite asiasat3.
on the screen to add satellite,it has,
satellite -asiasat3
lnb type - standard
-user
(i have selected standard,but if i select user in the bottom there come freq 2 field.)
freq 1- 5150mhz
lnb power: -18v
-13v
-18/13 v
(i been selecting 13/18v,i have tried 18v too.)
22k -off/on
Diseqc_ off /on

( i have tried off or on in both)

and when u go to add channel,i have like this setting.
satellite -asiasat3
channel-zee music asia
lnb freq-5150
trans freq-4140
symbol rate-27500
polatiry -v
diseqc-off
22k-off

signal intensity bar- 46%
singal quality-0%

just leaving my tv on this screen i have moved my dish between north and west and up down many time ,but no change in signal.
i am starting to thing no signal is coming from lnb,may be this lnb isn;t compatible with SPACE L-120
i have searched info about this receiver.but can't find it on internet.even the manual doesn't have proper info.
what do u guys suggest me??
thanks for all ur help

Ram

farmsky
13-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Unfortunately unless the stb matches the lnb you're going nowhere.

This is fundamental.

Unless there is an option in the lnb fields to select an 'lnb' with lo 5150/ 5700 it simply won't work (My Strong SRT 4652 shows 'OCS' as the lnb type with this 'lo' option); yours may be different.

You also have to make sure (after the lnb setting is sorted) that the lnb is correct with Asiasat 3 as each satellite can 'select' a different lnb if required.

The TP details look OK (but lnb is incorrect.)

Can the 'chinese importer' help u out?

bassett
13-03-2007, 02:12 AM
With the information our friend has given us, it would seem he has loaded the receiver with the correct information, and apart from Skew, and LNB focal length, he should be getting a signal, IF he is on satellite.

I really don't thing the compaterbility of his stuff, is an issue, He is simply NOT on Satellite

The fact that he constantly tells us that he Quote,,,
moved the dish left and right,up and down looking at the signal metre Unquote,,,, is a worry, if he is just waving the dish round on the pole. And I have re-read his post, and we don't know if he has a fixed mount [ez/al] mount of a tracking mount. Which would throw up a number of problems, with the dish adjustments

OK people who can pop round and sort this blokes problems out.
And remember we all had to start somewhere

farmsky
13-03-2007, 02:17 AM
The 5150 lo is for H (with the rather special MTI AS15-2C) ......unfortunately he's looking for a vertical signal which is derived from the 5700 lo.

knucklehead
13-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Make up two Asiasat3 sat names...LO 5150 (H) and program in H channels, then
put on the second set LO 5700 (V) and program V channels. Scan both and watch H & V.

farmsky
13-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Perhaps without changing anything go searching for a Horizontal TP on Asiasat 3, just to prove u can find a sat.

The lnb settings you have WILL work for all HORIZONTAL TP's, but u won't see any VERTICAL TP's.

farmsky
13-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Make up two Asiasat3 sat names...LO 5150 (H) and program in H channels, then
put on the second set LO 5750 (5700) (V) and program V channels. Scan both and watch H & V.

That'd work! :)

But probably a bit complex at this stage. Let's find the satellite first.

farmsky
13-03-2007, 02:42 AM
The trick with an OCS (sometimes called a 'One Cable Solution', developed by MTI) LNB is that it presents both polarities within the IF band (950 - 2000MHz), allowing you to 'gang patch' receivers ad infinitum and V & H aren't a problem. No dual lnb's, twin feeds and multiswitches required here.

An extremely powerful, single dish, cost effective solution. Pity the poor bugger on the end of the 100m run.

Only works for C-band as the sat side spectrum is relatively restricted (when compared to Ku).

Strong's and Phoenix's support OCS.

Apsattv
13-03-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm always amazed that people buy all this equipment and neglect to purchase a simple $30 satfinder that can save hours of mucking around.

farmsky
13-03-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm always amazed that people buy all this equipment and neglect to purchase a simple $30 satfinder that can save hours of mucking around.

Mite be giving a mighty strong signal (both poles = +3dB) and blow it's teeny weeny brains out :)

Maximus_Mike
13-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I bought a Satfinder from some mob in Melbourne, and sat waving the dish around for 3 days before I realised there was nothing wrong with my dish, the Satfinder was not working.

Going round to Jaycar and buying one locally fixed everything :-(

Mike.

wire73
13-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd remembered when I was in the same situation as you were here.When I first started, some birds were still transmitting analogue signals it was much easier(then digital) to get at least some sort of picture on the tv.
The equipment that you have should work.

Make sure all connection fittings are correctly put on the cable.Are you using the correct cable??(not the normal tv arial stuff)
Assume that you are true north already.On your receiver say you going for Asiasat 3 input some frequencies(if not already default) like the encrypted channels they tend to put a stronger signals out like 3732v 6500 Zee network and 3960H 27500.Now move your sat east to west(inch it if possible) until you get the signal bar to at least fluctuate then turn to a different colour.
If the signals dont change than your sat may not be true north.

(Guys correct me if I'm wrong just trying to help out.)

farmsky
13-03-2007, 08:27 PM
He's in Sydney, not Perth so Asiasat is west of north per post #3 :)

ramsharan
13-03-2007, 10:33 PM
hello guys,
i have bought the satellite finder on ebay.i should get that in few days.
then i will give a try.with satellite finder,after u coonect it between receiver and lnb,do u still have to put the tv/receiver on in a particular satellite channel frequency,or the satfinder detects any signal for any channel in any satllite.

i will keep updating u guys once i get my satfinder.
thanks

Ram

farmsky
13-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Finds all signals from the satellite, but yes the stb simply must be 'on' to power the LNB. You'll know there is power on, as the backlight on the unit will light and it'll probably squeal it's head off ....... wotever you do.

Personally I like Jaycar style (Atlanta) satfinder with the V/H leds :)

The satfinder must have a DC passing attenuator (10dB or so) between the lnb and the satfinder as the output from the C-band lnb will be too strong.

If your TV is next to the dish, I'd persist.

I suspect you may still need to sort out your stb settings for the LNB.

Perhaps rather than change the TP settings (for Zee) simply change 5150 to 5700 in the LNB settings.

farmsky
13-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Here's a nifty sundial to at least get the azimuth correct. You must use it today.

Use it to establish both true north and the azimuth of Asiasat 3. Enscribe the directions at the foot of your mast for posterity :)

Simply set the printout on a perfectly horizontal surface with a perfectly vertical 'shadow stick' and adjust the chart so that shadow shows the current (Eastern Standard Daylight Saving) time.

leslie
13-03-2007, 11:40 PM
gidday! its the basics that count! pole vertical,oreintation correct, back plane of dish pointing true north, and set the elevation with some sort of angle indicator, then lash out for the $30 sat finder! once you get a whisper of signal you can tweak the dish from there. dont forget to mark a start points with a marker pen so you can find your way back! add to this a bit of patience and you will soon be watching channels.best of luck, les

grasshopper
13-03-2007, 11:53 PM
The satfinder must have a DC passing attenuator (10dB or so) between the lnb and the satfinder as the output from the C-band lnb will be too strong.
or 5-10m of cable between the lnb and sat finder

farmsky
14-03-2007, 12:01 AM
10m RG6 = about 2.5dB at 1500MHz , so 20-30m is generally needed for this method.

MickNewcastle
14-03-2007, 01:19 AM
I just got Asiasat 3s last weekend at Newcastle.

Patience is all you need to get the signal.

Just look at the sun this afternoon on 15:56pm, point your dish to the sun first(move around the pole), then point dish slightly higher than sun (about 12 degrees). This will get your dish at right position.

Next is to get you LNB to the right position. While watch your signal quality, slowly turn your LNB, you will get your signal. You may need turn your LNB up to 180 degrees to get the singal.

4055v4760 is a strong signal if you can input it to start turn your LNB. Your LNB is a good one, you can ignore the vertical(5700Ghz) or horzontal(5150GHz) thing of the LNB setting, because if you turn LNB 90 degrees you will get vertical signal with LNB setting at 5150 GHz.

Hope this help you.

www.satellite-calculations.com
Wed Mar 14 2007 15:56:28 GMT+1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Sun 11.49 above satellite
Thu Mar 15 2007 15:57:53 GMT+1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Sun 10.92 above satellite
Fri Mar 16 2007 15:59:17 GMT+1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Sun 10.34 above satellite

ramsharan
14-03-2007, 09:05 AM
i tried on the evening again.but no change in the signal.i have already pointed every possbile direction and height between north and west.i am starting to thinnk,my dish hasn't been setup properly.could this be problem.
i bought joysat brand new dish,which i assembed it myself following the manual available in joysat website.below is the pic of my dish,i think mount of dish may not be proper.can u look at pic.
i have wall mounted my dish and my dish is at the second floor,i can move the dish around pole and change the height using elevation adjustment bolt and nut.

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5995lq8.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8420/img5998ib0.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8496/img5998qs4.jpg

my dish is in 1.5 metre pole and the lowest part of dish is 0.8 metre above floor.

thanks

gulliver
14-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi Ramsharan,Can you PM me, I may have a couple of hours to spare on saturday morning

simmo
14-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Ahhh another helpful Vetrun member!!
Thats gonna cost ya some beer Ramsharan!!
I'll send ya a free Vetrun sticker if you post a pic of it working by Saturday Arvo gulliver!!!

ramsharan
14-03-2007, 11:04 PM
hi guliver,
please check ur PM.
thanks,
Ram

ramsharan
18-03-2007, 11:25 PM
hi guys,
i finally got asiasat3 yesterday.
the problem i has before was that lnb wasn't in the right position.
i rotated the lnb and got 250 tv channels after aut0scan,of which 150 are FTA.

now i want insat2e,thaicom 5,telstar 10.
from asiasat3 position where do i move the dish,i think more towards west,
i tried but no success...
do u know what satellite has DD National,i want to watch Cricket worldcup ,i know DD national shows it live.but don;t know which satellite.
thanks

farmsky
19-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Good work. :)

Are you seeing both Vertical & Horizontal channels on asiasat3?

With that number of channels it does seem that the lnb/stb must be set correctly for the MTI lnb.

Insat2E is only 9.5 deg above the horizon (elevation), azimuth 77.3W.

So u might be running into the 'scenery'.

ramsharan
19-03-2007, 03:10 AM
farmsky,
i think i am getting all vertical and horizontal signals.
i have all the asiasat3 channels that's listed on lysat site.i just left default in Space receiver to set the lnb.
do u think i am any more channels in asiasat3?i don't have the angle metre ,
can u please tell me how much aproximately in cm/inch i have to lower the dish and also how much i have to move towards west from asiasat3 position..
that would be great.
also is PAS10 receivable in sydney with 2.3 m dish.if so what postion /direction??
thanks

farmsky
19-03-2007, 04:34 AM
You've been advised re Pas 10. ;)

Get hold of a simple school protractor from the newsagent and work out the angles.

Bathurst77
19-03-2007, 06:34 AM
you're gettng 250 TV channels on Asiasat 3...
Looks like I need to align my LNB better!